Semantic alignment in museums, archives and libraries : the ontologies for describing relationships
Is part ofJLIS : Italian Journal of Library, Archives and Information Science = Rivista italiana di biblioteconomia, archivistica e scienza dell'informazione : 10, 1, 2019
- This paper presents the state of the art of the cataloguing description of personal relationships between creators of archival records and people that are related to the life cycle of cultural objects, as highlighted by museums, archives and libraries records (i.e. GLAM, translated in italian MAB). Since people are fundamental access points to the cultural heritage, the representation of relationships between people and corporate bodies in Linked Open Data is of increasing interest. Nonetheless, a shared and comprehensive vocabulary of personal relationships is not available yet.
- Leveraging on Semantic Web technologies, and ontologies in particular, the aim is to identify existing ontologies that allow to represent relationships in their context (i.e. time, space and events), to map and classify different types of personal relationships, and to provide a formal representation of relationships not available in existing ontologies. As a result, we present an ontology, with a controlled vocabulary, for the representation of the scenario of personal relationships in the cultural heritage domain. [Publishers' text]
- Ontology modelling, Cultural Heritage, Archival Science, Semantic relationship
In this issue
- Digital preservation in Italy : reflections on models, criteria and solutions
- Conservation horizons : the three ages of archive and the role of conservation systems
- Accounting and the management of internal interdependencies : 14th century archival sources from the Comune of Siena
- International perspective and national reality in the Principi di Catalogazione e regole italiane di Diego Maltese
- The Open Access Book and the evolution of the OA.
- Semantic alignment in museums, archives and libraries : the ontologies for describing relationships
- Sustainable libraries : fashion or necessity?
- Roles and Proficiency of Systems Librarians as Managers of Library Systems in Academic Libraries in Nigeria
- Storage, enhancement and preservation of doctoral dissertations in the experience Magazzini digitali : a contribution to research and access
- Conservation libraries & Data Curation : from Custos catalogi to Digital Librarian : the case of Ambrosian Library
- OPERAS : bringing the long tail of Social Sciences and Humanities into Open Science
- The Swiss library context between innovation and tradition : the Swiss National Library and the Münstergasse Library of Bern
- International Research Conference "What happened in the library? Cosa è successo in biblioteca? Readers and libraries from historical investigations to current issues. Lettori e biblioteche tra indagine storica e problemi attuali" (Sapienza University of Rome, 27-28th September 2018)